Sunday, June 2, 2013

Homemade detox/hydration Drinks

YUM! I have started to make these more since the weather up here has gotten hot. But they are great all year round. Here are some of the benefits of these drinks vs. store bought drinks:
The antioxidant level is high because the fruit is fresh.
Water soluble vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C and potassium, are extracted into the water overnight.
Increased fiber intake with the fresh fruit.
Staying hydrated and enjoying the fresh taste and look of your drink.
Make sure you eat the fruit at the end!

So, here are a few tried and true drinks:

Blackberry/Sage:
10 cups of water, 1/2 cup blackberries and 3 leaves of sage, crushed slightly. Let sit overnight.
I was surprised at how good sage is in a drink. I'm stuck on it now and try it with many fruits. SAGE HAS THE HIGHEST ANTIOXIDANT LEVEL OF ANY HERB.

Watermelon/Rosemary:
1/2 cup watermelon and a good sprig of Rosemary to 10 cups of water. Same instructions.

Pineapple/Mint   (for you Megan!)
1 cup pineapple and 12 mint leaves slightly crushed to 10 cups of water. You get the instructions by now.

Ginger:
1 teaspoon of fresh ginger chopped in 10 cups of water.

A couple of my personal favorites: (I went a little crazy here, but I like to experiment)

Watermelon/sage/grapefruit/lemon - a surprisingly good combination.

Watermelon, mint, lemon.

* I add fresh lemon to almost every drink. Make up your own, and alter the size as you wish.  Adding 1/4 of a sliced grapefruit is amazingly good too, esp. with sage.

You get the idea; fresh fruit, herbs/medicinal plants, water, and let soak overnight. Sometimes I don't have the patience to let it sit, so I forgive myself and drink it down, then make another for soaking. Such is life. Live it.




No comments:

Post a Comment